Thursday, June 24, 2010

Calico Beans

I don't think any backyard BBQ is complete without beans.  Now I love homemade baked beans but I had never tried to make them.  I had, until now, been content with eating canned beans that I doctor up a little bit, or even better the homemade versions that others so kindly bring.  That is until I found this recipe posted by Heather at Gourmet Meals For Less, when she guest blogged over at Eatin' on the Cheap.  These beans are hearty, sweet, and utterly delicious with any food cooked on a grill, not to mention easy easy easy on the budget! 

**Cook's Note-I am posting this exactly as Heather posted it originally. No changes or alterations were need by this cook!  Her pricing is close to what mine would be, check out the total at the bottom--I love a good deal!

Calico Beans

Recipe Source: Heather from Gourmet Meals For Less

Serves 12

3-4 medium onions, halved and sliced 1.00
5 bacon strips, diced 1.00
2 garlic cloves, minced .08
1 cup packed dark brown sugar .20
1/2 cup cider vinegar .10
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard PI
2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained .50 (I used dried I cooked ½ of 1 lb. bag)
2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans 1.38
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained .69
Salt and Pepper to taste PI

PI (Pantry Item)
In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, bacon and garlic until onions are tender.

Add the brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

Stir in beans. Transfer to a large baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1/12 hours or until heated through and beans are tender.

Total Cost: $4.95 (.41 a serving)

**Cook's Note-Lima Beans can also be labeled butter beans.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Glad they were a success. My mom is making them this week for a party as well, it's such a tasty and frugal dish. Love your blog Jenn!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather thank you, I think this will be a staple recipe for very long time at this house!!

    ReplyDelete