Sunday, March 21, 2010

French Bread Rolls

If there is a bread heaven I am in it right now.  Oh. My. Gracious! These are the best rolls I have ever made or eaten (sorry Dad.)  They taste exactly like a perfect loaf of french bread, brown and crusty on the outside with a perfect chewy center, only miniature.  They are light and fluffy, tender and moist, and did I mention absolutely delicious.  Becase they are easy to make, with very few ingredients (no milk or eggs), and taste so heavenly I have found my go to roll recipe.   I really don't know what to say other than make them as soon as you can.  While you do that...I'm going to get another while they are still warm  :)
French Bread Rolls
Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Yield: about 12 rolls

**Cooks Note-This recipe is easily doubled

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12-14 equal pieces, and form into round balls. Place on lightly greased baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth (or greased saran wrap), and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Bake for 12-13 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

*Can freeze the rolls after baking – microwave on high for 2 minutes before serving.

Total Cost for a double batch $1.03 ($.04 each)
Flour (7 cups)-$.56
Sugar $.05
Oil $.12
Yeast $.30
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! These do look like mini french breads. I can smell the freshly baked bread from here. I love that first picture with the melting butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophie; I love it when I can get a really great food photo, so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I love how you break down the costs. It makes me even more committed to making my own breads! I'm glad you like these rolls...they are definitely some of our favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete